Exercise increased caution in Serbia due to crime.
Country Summary: Violence associated with organized crime and high-profile sporting events in Serbia is common.
Read the country information page for additional information on travel to Serbia.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has determined Serbia has a high level of COVID-19. Visit the CDC page for the latest Travel Health Information related to your travel.
If you decide to travel to Serbia:
- Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before planning any international travel, and read the Embassy COVID-19 page for country-specific COVID-19 information.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as expensive watches or jewelry.
- Do not answer your door at your hotel/residence unless you know who it is.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by Westerners.
- Be extra vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.
- Carry a copy of your passport and visa (if applicable) and leave the original in your hotel safe.
- Provide your itinerary to a family member or friend.
- Monitor local media.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Country Security Report for Serbia.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Last Update: Reissued with updates to health information.