Russia Travel Advisory
April 19, 2022

Do Not Travel and Leave Immediately

Ukraine Crisis
April 26, 2022

Information for U.S. Citizens in Ukraine

International Parental Child Abduction


Country Information


Republic of Seychelles
Exercise normal precautions in Seychelles.

Exercise normal precautions in Seychelles.

Read the country information page for additional information on travel to Seychelles.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has determined Seychelles has a high level of COVID-19.  Visit the CDC page for the latest Travel Health Information related to your travel.

If you decide to travel to Seychelles:

Last Update: Reissued with updates to health information.


Hague Convention Participation

Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?

What You Can Do

Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Port Louis
4th Floor, Rogers House
John Kennedy Street
Port Louis, Mauritius
+(230) 202-4400
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(230) 202-4400
Fax: +(230) 208-9534

Consular Agency

U.S. Consular Agency Victoria
2nd Floor, Oliaji Trade Centre
Victoria, Seychelles

Telephone: +248 422 5256
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +248 251 5256

General Information

Seychelles and the United States have been treaty partners under the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction Convention (Hague Abduction Convention) since September 1, 2021.

For information concerning travel to Seychelles, including information about the location of U.S. Embassy in Port Louis, Mauritius, which is accredited to both Mauritius & Seychelles, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Seychelles. 

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Child Abduction. The report is located here.

Hague Abduction Convention

The U.S. Department of State serves as the U.S. Central Authority (USCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention. In this capacity, the Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizen Services, Office of Children’s Issues, facilitates the submission of applications under the Hague Abduction Convention for the return of, or access to, children located in countries that are U.S. treaty partners, including Seychelles. Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the foreign Central Authority.

Contact information:

United States Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children’s Issues
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709

Telephone: 1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444

The Seychelles Central Authority (SCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention is in the Ministry of Health and Social Development. The SCA has an administrative role in processing Hague Abduction Convention applications.

They can be reached at:

Ministry of Health and Social Development
P.O. Box 190
Victoria, Mahé

Tel.: +248 4 28 16 32
Fax: +248 4 22 56 56

To initiate a Hague case for return of, or access to, a child in Seychelles, the left-behind parent or legal guardian must submit a Hague application and the original or certified supporting documents to the SCA. The USCA is available to answer questions about the Hague application process, to forward a completed application to the SCA, and to subsequently monitor its progress through the foreign administrative and legal processes.

There are no fees for filing Hague applications with either the USCA or the SCA. Costs arising during the Hague proceedings, however, are the responsibility of the applicant parent. These may include but are not limited to attorney’s fees, court fees, transportation costs for court appearances, and costs associated with the eventual return of the child, if so ordered.


A parent or legal guardian may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for return to the United States of a child abducted to, or wrongfully retained in, Seychelles. The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand whether the Convention is an available civil remedy and can provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.


A person may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for access to a child living in Seychelles. The criteria for acceptance of a Hague access application vary from country to country. The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand country-specific criteria and provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.

Retaining an Attorney

Neither the Office of Children’s Issues nor consular officials at the U.S. Embassy in Port Louis are authorized to provide legal advice.

The SCA does not provide an attorney to left-behind parents. Parents or legal guardians have the option to hire a private attorney to represent them, but all attorney’s fees will be the applicant's responsibility. If retained by the parent, a privately hired attorney should contact the SCA as soon as possible after the Hague Abduction Convention application has been filed with the SCA.

The U.S. Embassy in Port Louis posts a list of attorneys on its website, including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the persons or firms included in this list. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


Mediation services may be provided through the Seychelles Department of Social Affairs.

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Last Updated: September 8, 2021

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Port Louis
4th Floor, Rogers House
John Kennedy Street
Port Louis, Mauritius
+(230) 202-4400
+(230) 202-4400,
press one (1) after the automated greeting
+(230) 208-9534

Seychelles Map