April 12, 2024

Information for U.S. Citizens in the Middle East

International Parental Child Abduction


Country Information

Cayman Islands

Cayman Islands
Cayman Islands
Exercise normal precautions in the Cayman Islands.

Reissued with obsolete COVID-19 page links removed.

Exercise normal precautions in the Cayman Islands.

Read the country information page for additional information on travel to the Cayman

If you decide to travel to the Cayman Islands:


Hague Convention Participation

Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?

What You Can Do

Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Kingston

142 Old Hope Road
Kingston 6
Jamaica, West Indies
+(876) 702-6000
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(876) 702-6000
Fax: +(876) 702-6018


Physical Address:

U.S. Consular Agency - Cayman Islands
202B Smith Road Center
150 Smith Road
George Town, Cyman Islands
+(345) 945-8173
Fax: +(345) 945-8192

Mailing Address:

U.S. Consular Agency
P.O. Box 12204
George Town, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands. BWI
Telephone: +(345) 945-8173
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: Please contact the U.S. Embassy in Kingston, Jamaica: +(876) 702-6000

There is a part-time Consular Agent in the Cayman Islands. For routine assistance please contact the U.S. Embassy in Kingston, Jamaica.

General Information

The Cayman Islands are British Overseas Territories of the United Kingdom. The United Kingdom extended the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention) to the Cayman Islands on May 8, 1998.  The Cayman Islands and the United States have been treaty partners under the Hague Abduction Convention since August 1, 1998.

For information concerning travel to the Cayman Islands, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for the Cayman Islands.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Child Abduction. The report is located here

Hague Abduction Convention

The U.S. Department of State serves as the U.S. Central Authority (USCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention.  In this capacity, the Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues facilitates the submission of applications under the Hague Abduction Convention for the return of, or access to, children located in countries that are U.S. treaty partners, including the Cayman Islands.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the foreign Central Authority.

Contact information:

United States Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444
Website: travel.state.gov

The Cayman Islands Central Authority (CICA) for the Hague Abduction Convention is the Attorney General's Office. The CICA performs the duties given to central authorities under the Hague Abduction Convention, including processing Hague Abduction Convention applications for return of and access to children. They can be reached at:

Cayman Islands Central Authority
Solicitor General’s Office
Portfolio of Legal Affairs
4th Floor, Government Administration Building
133 Elgin Avenue, George Town
P.O. Box 136 Grand Cayman, KY1-9000
Cayman Islands
Email: ciabduction@gov.ky

Contact: Claire Allen
Telephone: (345) 946-0022
Email: Claire.Allen@gov.ky

Contact: Reshma Sharma QC
Telephone: (345) 946-0022
Email: Reshma.sharma@gov.ky

To initiate a Hague case for return of, or access to, a child in the Cayman Islands, the left behind parent may submit a Hague application to the Cayman Islands Central Authority (CICA), either directly or through the U.S. Central Authority (USCA).  The USCA is available to answer questions about the Hague application process, to forward a completed application to the CICA, and to subsequently monitor its progress through the foreign administrative and legal processes. 

There are no fees for filing Hague applications with either the United States or Cayman Islands central authorities.  Attorney fees, if necessary, are the sole responsibility of the person hiring the attorney.  Additional costs may include airplane tickets for court appearances and for the return of the child, if so ordered.


A parent or legal guardian may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for return to the United States of a child abducted to or wrongfully retained in the Cayman Islands.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand whether the Convention is an available civil remedy and can provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.


A person may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for access to a child living in the Cayman Islands.  The criteria for acceptance of a Hague access application vary from country to country.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand country-specific criteria and provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.

Retaining an Attorney

Each applicant will be required to obtain a private attorney, at his or her own expense, to follow up on the case, advocate before the court, and provide legal advice based on the individual circumstances. The Cayman Islands Central Authority (CICA) will provide assistance to applicants in sourcing attorneys. If financial assistance is needed, the attorney will make an application for public funding to meet the applicant’s legal costs.  The attorney will then file the case with the Grand Court. A privately-hired attorney should contact the CICA as soon as possible after the Hague Abduction Convention application has been filed with the court.

The U.S. Embassy in Kingston, Jamaica, maintains a list of attorneys practicing in the Cayman Islands, including those who specialize in family law, posted here.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the following persons or firms.  Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


Currently, the Cayman Islands Central Authority (CICA) does not offer mediation services. While the CICA promotes and encourages mediation between the parties with a view to a voluntary resolution, all such mediation services are conducted privately at the expense of the parties involved.

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Last Updated: February 22, 2022

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Kingston
142 Old Hope Road
Kingston 6
Jamaica, West Indies
+(876) 702-6000
+(876) 702-6000
+(876) 702-6018

Cayman Islands Map